joi, 5 august 2010

The Emerging Romanian Fashion Photographer: Sergiu Zimbilschi

A few years ago I saw some photos taken by some guy that was in high school and I remember being completely blown away. I followed him for a while and I just saw his work improving, but in the end I lost track of him. But, a few months ago, I found him again. He is now one of the most talented young Romanian photographers and I wanted to get the chance to present him to you guys until someone else did.

Q: When did you discovered that you might be better at photography than most people your age?

A: ...When I discovered that I can be better than people twice my age :) I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want to seem to forward, but there are a LOT of wannabe photographers out there, and although Photography in general is a very subjective area, you have to posses a little more than just a simple camera to be called as such. This coming from a yet to become Professional Fashion Photographer.

Q: When you were in high school, I remember that the photos you used to take looked very clean, very professional, even though some of them were just shot by moving the furniture in your apartment. Was it hard working back then?

A: I always was a little bit minimalistic, I guess, so the "clean" that you refer to is probably something I transfer to my work. I like keeping things very simple and at the same time very organized with a powerful message. As for the working part, it was probably more simpler. I didn't have to worry about studio lights or other things like that, but as i grew, things just came naturally.


Q: How hard is it at the beginning point of this career? Because I can imagine that it requires some investing, you need a studio, a good team and most of all you need contracts. How hard it is for an emerging photographer to get contracts?

A: The answer is very hard, especially in Romania. Everything is based on relations and at first glance, it seems practically impossible to evolve in such a market. But with a strong team or strong will, you might just make it. I'll get you back on this in a couple of years :


Q: Do you believe that photograpy pays off in Romania?

A: Actually no, but then again, what artistic based job you know, does? I can't begin to tell you all the negative experiences I've had on this issue. So I believe one thing. Although there are many photographers or hobbyists, as I like to call them, in Romania, they are all doing it out of passion with a desire to also make money, as myself.


Q: Have you ever had a period where you got tired of photograpy and you just wanted to give up or try something else?

A: No, I haven't. This because I like working organized. The only times I grab the camera is for a gig or a very well taught personal project. The other time, I like studying other artists and learn from them.


Q: I also remember you being very original. Where does your creativity come from?

A: This is a very funny question because I am always wondering why other people don't have the same ideas. My theory on this subject is because of movies. I get many ideas by simply watching them. It's practically an endless inspirational source.


Q: How important is having a good team behind you?

A: The most! I actually don't know how other people can do it without. It's very hard to achieve professional results without someone backing you up. I like to use my own make-up artist, hair stylist and fashion editor. I also have a partner with whom I think most of my editorials, we brainstorm together and helps me on set. I like having my own team I can count on, people who I know and know how I do things.


Q: Do you plan on earning a living on photography or do you also see yourself doing other things?

A: Let me just start of by saying that I hate charging money for something I love doing so much. It just seems wrong, but the fact of the matter remains we live in a very imperfect world and nothing is for free. My dream is that I eventually end up doing photography just for passion purposes and get my income from other business ideas I have.


Q: Where do you see yourself in ten years time?

A: On the cover of every high profile fashion magazine! (by name of course :P)






Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu